Washington LawHelp

Letter to Landlord for Return of a Security Deposit - Self-Help Forms

Authored By: Northwest Justice Project LSC Funded
Information about using the Self-Help Forms Related

Information about using the Self-Help Forms

Use this online interview if you did not receive or only partially received a refund of your rental security deposit from a previous landlord and wish to send a demand letter requesting that it be returned to you.


  • It is always advisable to talk to a lawyer before proceeding in a court case on your own. We also suggest you read our publication Can I Get My Security Deposit Back? before completing this interview.

What do I need to get started?

  • Your current address.

  • Your previous address.

  • Your previous landlord's name, address or management company's address.

  • The date you moved out.

  • The amount of your deposit.

These forms are not for commercial use and charging for use in any way is prohibited.

What if I have questions?

To learn more about the project and what to expect when you use the interactive court forms, read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) at LawHelp Interactive.

What should I know about representing myself in court?

When you represent yourself in court you are held to the same standards as an attorney. Your preparation, paperwork, and your conduct at all hearings must comply with court rules and orders. You should always talk to a lawyer about your legal issues before filing any legal paperwork. Even if you do not hire a lawyer to appear in your case, a lawyer can give you information about your rights. Read our publication Basic Tips on How to Prepare for a Court Hearing or Trial for more information on court behavior.

Where can I find an assistance if I decide I need it?

Visit the Washington State Bar Association's web site for information on how to locate an attorney.

Last Review and Update: Dec 20, 2014
YouTube Channel
Visit us on Facebook