My Manufactured/Mobile Home Park Landlord Just Gave Me a 14-Day Notice to Pay or Vacate

Authored By: Northwest Justice Project

If you live in a manufactured/mobile home park and your landlord gave you a 14-Day Notice to Pay or Vacate, learn what this notice is and how to respond and get legal and financial help. #6502EN

Please Note:

* Read this only if you live in the state of Washington.

*Eviction law continues to change. Read about the latest changes to eviction laws.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Yes, if you live in a manufactured/mobile home park and you just got a notice from your landlord saying you owe rent, and must pay the amount owed within 14 days or move out.
No, if you got a notice from your landlord saying you broke a park rule or the rent is going up. Read My manufactured/mobile home park landlord gave me a 20-day notice to comply or vacate or I live in a manufactured/mobile home park. Can the park owner/landlord raise the rent, and by that much? instead.

  • A manufactured/mobile home park is any land rented out for two or more manufactured/mobile homes and/or permanently installed RVs or trailers.
  • What this notice is
  • What to do if you get this notice from your landlord
  • Whether the landlord gave the notice to you correctly
  • Where to get legal help

It is a written warning from your landlord that you have fallen behind in rent and/or on your deposit installment plan. If your landlord wants to evict you for not paying rent or your deposit installment, your landlord must give you a 14-Day Notice to Pay Rent or Vacate.
This notice has to tell you exactly how much you owe. You must then pay what you owe by the end of the 14 days. If you do not, the landlord may start an eviction lawsuit against you.

The eviction moratorium, which paused evictions in Washington State, ended on June 30, 201. However, if you owe rent from February 29, 2020 to July 30, 2021, your landlord can only start an eviction case in court if there is an Eviction Resolution Pilot Program (ERPP) and rental assistance program in your county. This is true until September 30, 2021.

You can visit here to check if your county has one of these ERPPs, or check’s Eviction Help by county for ERPP’s and other eviction info about your county.

Under state law, the landlord must offer you a reasonable repayment plan for rent owed between March 1, 2020 and the end of 2021. You then have 14 days to accept or turn down a reasonable payment plan. A reasonable repayment plan is one that does not require that you pay more than 1/3 of the monthly rent amount in addition to the rent.
The repayment plan must not start until 30 days after the landlord offers it. It cannot start immediately. The repayment plan cannot include late fees or other charges that are not rent. It cannot add extra requirements, like giving up any of your rights. It cannot say that you are not allowed to accept assistance through nonprofit organizations or churches.
If you do not accept a reasonable payment plan, the landlord can file an eviction court case. If your landlord has not offered you a repayment plan, this may be a defense to eviction. Read Coronavirus (COVID-19): Can my landlord evict me now? to learn more.
Depending on the county you live in, your landlord may be required to offer mediation before filing an eviction court case . You can visit here to check if your county requires that a landlord first offer you mediation.

Does the termination notice have to be delivered to me in a certain way?
Yes. Your landlord (or their employee or another adult) can “personally serve” you at home by handing the notice to you. The landlord cannot give someone else in your mobile home a copy of the notice. If you are not home, the landlord can tape it on your door, but then they must also mail a copy. The landlord cannot text, email, or verbally give you this notice.

  • The notice does not have to be notarized.

No. Washington state does not let landlords evict tenants without following the proper court eviction process. The landlord must give you a proper written “termination” notice before starting an eviction lawsuit. The 14-day Notice to Pay Rent or Vacate is one type of termination notice.
If you are still living in the place after 14 days, and you still owe rent, the landlord may then start an eviction lawsuit.
The landlord must win an eviction lawsuit and get a judge to sign an order directing the sheriff to evict you.
The one exception is if you get three or more 14-Day Notices in a twelve-month period, your landlord can evict you even if you paid all your rent.

Yes. If you want to fight the eviction lawsuit, talk to a lawyer right away. You will need to be able to prove your case in court. This means giving evidence proving you do not owe the rent. It can also mean having witnesses with personal knowledge about the facts testify. A lawyer can help you with these things. See contact information below.

Yes. You can ask the judge for a payment plan to get more time to pay. Be ready to explain to the judge why you fell behind in rent or payments on your deposit installment plan, how soon you could pay what you owe, if you have fallen behind before, and how much hardship you will suffer if you are evicted. Talk to a lawyer right away for help getting ready to go to court.

  • If family or friends can help you, take the help.  Being able to pay the rent might stop the eviction.

You might be able to get other help paying the rent or the payment plan.

Get Legal Help

Visit Northwest Justice Project to find out how to get legal help. 


Download | Printer-friendly

Last Review and Update: Sep 20, 2021
Was this information helpful?
Volver arriba