My manufactured/mobile home park landlord just gave me a 14-Day Notice to Pay Rent or Vacate

Authored By: Northwest Justice Project

If you live in a manufactured/mobile home park and your landlord gave you a 14-Day Notice to Pay or Vacate, learn what this notice is and how to respond and get legal and financial help. #6502EN

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

I live in Washington State. Should I read this?

Yes, if you live in a manufactured/mobile home park and you just got a notice from your landlord saying you owe rent and must pay the amount owed within 14 days or move out.

No, if you got a notice from your landlord saying you broke a park rule, or the rent is going up. Read My manufactured/mobile home park landlord gave me a 20-day notice to comply or vacate or I live in a manufactured/mobile home park. Can the park owner/landlord raise the rent, and by that much? instead.

You will learn:

  • What this notice is
  • What to do if you get this notice from your landlord
  • Whether the landlord gave the notice to you correctly
  • Where to get legal help

It is any land rented out for 2 or more manufactured/mobile homes and/or permanently installed RVs or trailers.

It is a warning from your landlord. If you fall behind in rent and/or your deposit installment plan with the landlord, the landlord may give you this type of notice.

This notice must tell you exactly how much you owe. You must then pay what you owe by the end of the 14 days. If you do not, the landlord can start an eviction lawsuit against you.

Yes. Your landlord (or their employee or another adult) can "personally serve" you at home by handing you the notice.

The landlord can also hand it to another adult or older teenager living with you. If your landlord does this "substitute service," your landlord must also send a copy of the notices to you.  

If the landlord tries but fails to have you personally served, the landlord can then "serve" the notice by taping it on your door, but then they must also mail a copy to you.

No. A 14-Day Notice that is sent by text, voicemail, email, or in person is not a proper notice. It does not start the eviction process.


No. Washington State does not let landlords evict tenants without following the proper court eviction process.

The landlord must give you a proper written "termination" notice before starting an eviction lawsuit. The 14-day Notice to Pay Rent or Vacate is one type of termination notice.

If you are still living in the place after 14 days, and you still owe rent, the landlord may then start an eviction lawsuit. The landlord does this by giving you official court papers called a "Summons" and "Complaint." These papers may require you to send a response to your landlord or their lawyer.

The landlord must win an eviction lawsuit and get a judge to sign an order directing the sheriff to evict you. Only the sheriff can formally evict you or change the locks on the rental.

The one exception is if you get 3 or more 14-Day Notices in a twelve-month period. In that situation, your landlord can evict you even if you paid all your rent.

If you want to fight the eviction lawsuit, talk to a lawyer right away. You will need to be able to prove your case in court. This means giving the court evidence proving you do not owe the rent. It can also mean having witnesses with personal knowledge about the facts testify.

A lawyer can help you with these things. See contact information below. Read Getting ready for a court hearing or trial to get an idea of what you will need to do to fight the eviction in court.

Maybe. Visit to find organizations near you that might have rental assistance.

Get Legal Help

*Renters with low incomes are entitled to a lawyer free of charge before a court may proceed with an eviction. Call our Eviction Defense Screening line at 1-855-657-8387 or apply online at if you think you may qualify.


*You can find all the fact sheets we link to here at

Download | Printer-friendly

Last Review and Update: Jul 14, 2023
Was this information helpful?
Volver arriba