Know Your Rights
8 Resource(s) Found

How do I get a copy of my Washington State Acknowledgment of Parentage?

How to get a copy of a Parentage Affidavit, Parentage Acknowledgment, or Acknowledgment of Parentage (all the same thing). #3612EN

I have experienced domestic violence. Should I file a protection order (PO)?

If you are being hurt, threatened or stalked, try to talk with a domestic violence program. The National Domestic Violence Hotline is 1-800-799-SAFE. This explains things to think about before filing a PO. #3703EN

I Was Served with Parentage (or Petition for Parenting Plan or Child Support) Papers

If you were served with parentage, petition for parenting plan or child support papers, you must respond promptly. If you do not respond on time, the other party may automatically win. You may have as few as four business days to file a response. This will help you figure out what to do. #3614EN

My legal rights: I was raped and became pregnant

If you were raped and became pregnant, you have options for limiting the rapist's rights to the child. #3660EN

Unmarried Couples: Washington Parenting Law

Basic information about Washington State law that applies to parenting when unmarried couples separate. #3912EN

Guardian Ad Litem Report: The basics and how to respond

If you're fighting about a parenting plan in a family law case in a Washington court, read this to learn what a guardian ad litem does, why the report matters, and how to respond to a report when its recommendations don't help you. #3111EN

Guardians ad Litem in Family Law Cases

A judge may appoint a guardian ad litem (GAL) in a court case about custody or visitation rights. Any party to the case may ask for appointment of a GAL, or the judge can decide to appoint one. This packet has the necessary forms and instructions. #3103EN

How to Work with GALs and Parenting Evaluators

If you are involved in a divorce, paternity or non-parent custody case where the other parent does not agree with you, the court may appoint a Guardian ad Litem (GAL) or Parenting Evaluator. Here are some tips to help you work successfully with the GAL. #3106EN

Back to top