Skip to main content

Fraud & overpayments

Know Your Rights

Welfare Fraud

Answers to common questions about welfare fraud and important information that you should know if you are being accused of welfare fraud. #7116EN

DSHS and HCA Overpayments: What is “Equitable Estoppel”?

Read this if DSHS sends you a notice saying you owe them money (an overpayment) because they gave you benefits they should not have and the overpayment was not your fault, and you cannot afford to repay it. You should ask for an administrative hearing. You have a legal defense against the overpayment. #7912EN

Fighting a food stamp overpayment

Use this when the Department of Social & Health Services (DSHS) notifies you of a food assistance overpayment. “Food assistance” includes basic food, FAP, or WASHCAP assistance. #7304EN

Fighting an overpayment of cash or medical assistance

Use this when the Department of Social & Health Services (DSHS) or Health Care Authority (HCA) notifies you of a cash or medical overpayment. An overpayment is when you get benefits you are not eligible for according to DSHS or HCA rules. #7104EN

Fighting an SSI or SSDI overpayment notice

Is the Social Security Administration charging you with an overpayment? This explains some things you can do to respond. #7403EN

Back to top