Do You Need Food Assistance Right Away?
Authored By: Northwest Justice Project
- Read this in:
- Spanish / Español
Information about who qualifies for emergency food assistance and what to do if you are denied. #7301EN
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get food stamps right away (“expedited food assistance”)? +
Maybe, if one of these is true:
- Your income for the month is $150 or less and you have limited cash available to you.
- Your income and available cash are not enough to pay your rent or mortgage and utilities.
How much help can I get? +
It will depend on your income and any expenses you have, such as housing and medical.
*If you do agricultural field work, there may be different eligibility requirements for you.
What DSHS count as income? +
It depends. DSHS does not count all types of income when deciding if you are eligible. Examples: They do not count tax refunds and some child support payments. WAC 388-450-0015.
Do I have other options? +
How do I apply? +
- Go online at https://www.washingtonconnection.org/home/home.go (click on “Apply Now”)
- Call the Customer Service Contact Center at 877-501-2233
What if they turn down (deny) my application? +
You can appeal. Here is how you appeal:
- Ask in writing for an administrative hearing. Write the Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH):
Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH)
P.O. Box 42488
Olympia, WA 98504
- Call the local DSHS office. Ask for the Administrative Hearing Coordinator.
I need a hearing right away. +
If it is an emergency, call OAH at (360) 407-2700 or 1-800-583-8271. Ask them to hold the hearing as soon as possible. This is an “expedited” hearing. Read Representing Yourself at an Administrative Hearing to learn more.
Get Legal Help +
Visit Northwest Justice Project to find out how to get legal help.