Skip to main content

Do You Work in the Forest?

Read this in: Spanish / Español

Your rights as a forestry worker. #2910EN

Read Online

Most forestry workers have rights as the employer's "employee." If you have questions about whether you are an "employee" or an "independent contractor," call:

Northwest Justice Project:

300 Okanogan Avenue, Suite 3-A
Wenatchee, WA  98801
(509) 664-5101

311 N. 4th Street, Suite 201
Yakima, WA  98901
(509) 574-4234

1814 Cornwall
Bellingham, WA 98225
(360) 734-8680

Columbia Legal Services

300 Okanogan Avenue, Suite 2-A
Wenatchee, WA  98801
(509) 662-9681

600 Larson Building
6 South Second Street
Yakima, WA  98901
(509) 575-5593

7103 Clearwater Ave, Ste C
Kennewick, WA  99336
(509) 374-9855

Does it matter if I am an employee or an independent contractor?

Employees have more legal rights than independent contractors do. Employers or contractors might try to treat you like an "independent contractor" or "partner" even though you are an "employee" under the law. Then you might not get any of the benefits listed here even though you may have the right to them. 

*The way in which you work determines your legal rights. It does not matter what your employer calls you.

What rights do I have as an employee?

You have these rights:

Worker's Compensation:  If you are hurt at work, you have the right to get worker's compensation. This pays your medical costs and pays you for work time lost due to injury. 

Terms of your job in writing:  When the employer offers you work, you have the right to get a paper from them explaining:

  • How much pay you will get and how often.

  • How long the work will last.

  • Any bonuses you will get.

  • Any money they are going to take out of your pay (deductions).

Unemployment insurance:  The employer pays into the unemployment compensation fund for when you are not working anymore. 

Pay stubs:  The employer must give you a wage stub (piece of paper) showing:

  • How much work you have done.

  • Money they have taken out of your wages (deductions).

  • Why they have taken those deductions.

  • The hours you worked.

Minimum wage:  If you are an adult, the employer must pay you at least $13.69 an hour, even if you are working by piece rate. There are some exceptions.

Protection from discrimination:  It is illegal for your employer to fire you because you exercise your rights under these laws.

Download | Printer-friendly

Last Review and Update: Jan 30, 2021
Was this information helpful?
Back to top