How do I change the gender on my Washington driver’s license or state ID?

Instructions for changing gender marker on a Washington driver's license or state ID. #8916EN

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

In Washington, you can choose one of three gender designation options for your driver's license or state ID card. The only requirement is self-attestation. This means you don't need to provide any proof of gender change and can choose which gender designation works for you from the provided options.

You can choose one of these gender designations for any of these Washington State IDs:

  • Driver license/ID card
  • Instruction permit

The gender designation options include: F, M and X. You can change the gender designation that is already on your ID to one of the above. Or if you are getting an ID or driver's license for the first time, you can choose one of the three gender designations.

Use the Change of Gender Designation Request form #520-043 from Washington Department of Licensing (DOL).

You can find the form at You can also find copies of the form in Spanish, Russian and Vietnamese at that webpage.

You can also ask for a copy of the form at any Department of Licensing office.

You can complete the form in person at a Department of Licensing office or you can mail it in to the address listed on the form:

Programs and Services, Record Response

Department of Licensing

PO Box 9030 Olympia WA 98507-9030

  • If you don't need a photo change, mail in the form and it should be free to get a replacement ID through the mail.  The replacement ID should list the gender designation you chose on the form.
  • If you do need a photo change, submit your form in person at a DOL office. You will have to pay the $20 ID replacement because of the photo change.
  • If you are getting an ID for the first time, you will only need to pay for the ID itself and can choose which gender designation for that ID.  ID costs will vary depending on which type of ID you are getting.

You can learn more about how to ask for a legal name change in Washington on our How to Get a Name Change in Washington page.

You can learn more about how to change your gender designation on other identity documents like your birth certificate, Social Security card or U.S. passport on our How Do I Change the Gender On All My IDs page

Get Legal Help

Visit Northwest Justice Project to find out how to get legal help. 

Download | Printer-friendly PDF

Last Review and Update: May 24, 2023
Was this information helpful?
Back to top