Skip to main content

How to Change, Remove, or Report a Representative Payee

Authored By: Disability Rights Washington

The Social Security Administration (SSA) pays benefits to certain eligible people, called beneficiaries. If a beneficiary cannot manage or direct the management of their SSA benefits, SSA appoints a representative payee (rep payee) to receive and manage the SSA benefits. A rep payee can be a person or an organization. This publication is for adult beneficiaries and explains how a beneficiary can ask SSA to change or remove a rep payee and how a beneficiary can report a rep payee for misuse of funds.

Last Review and Update: Feb 05, 2020
Was this information helpful?
Back to top