powered by probono.net

To leave this site now, use the X button.
If you are in danger, please use a safer computer.
In an emergency, call 911 or the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 (TTY 1-800-787-3224). Computer use can be monitored and is impossible to completely clear.

Text size: A A A

WashingtonLawHelp.orgWashington LawHelp

Kitsap County Superior Court: Your Domestic Violence Protection Order Case during COVID-19

Authored By: Northwest Justice Project

Read how Kitsap County Superior Court has temporarily changed its procedures for getting or renewing Domestic Violence Protection Orders. #3971EN


Download | Printer-friendly

Read Online

Kitsap County Superior Court is still accepting requests for Domestic Violence Protection Orders. However, the process has temporarily changed. For up-to-date information, go to www.kitsapgov.com/sc/Pages/default.aspx, and check with the County Clerk's Office, www.kitsapgov.com/clerk/Pages/default.aspx.

If you filed a Petition before March 20, 2020:

  • All court hearings have been delayed.

  • If you already have a Temporary Domestic Violence Protection Order, the Court should have reissued the Order and set (scheduled) a new hearing date.  The Temporary Order will stay in effect until the new court date.

    • You should have gotten the Temporary Order for Protection and Notice of Hearing by email, or mail.  Depending on your Order, you may need to re-serve it. This can be done by having someone other than yourself send the new Temporary Order and Notice of Hearing by mail.

  • All hearings are by phone or video conference. You must call the Superior Court office at (360) 337-7140 or email Court scheduler Jennifer Kluver at jkluver@co.kitsap.wa.us.

  • If you filed a Petition to Renew an Order for Protection, the Court should have reissued a new Order if yours was set to expire (end), and rescheduled the hearing.

  • If you filed a Petition to Modify (change) or Terminate (end) an Order before March 25, the hearing was delayed and should have been rescheduled. Get a copy of the Court's order from the Clerk's Office.

  • You must appear by phone or video conference. You must set that up ahead of time with the Superior Court office at (360) 337-7140 or by emailing Jennifer Kluver at jkluver@co.kitsap.wa.us.

If you filed a Petition after March 20, 2020, or are getting ready to file:

  • Kitsap County Courthouse is open. A judge or commissioner will review your petition immediately. We recommend you file before 4pm.

  • Prepare and submit your Petition and supporting documents by phone with the Clerk's Office or in person at the Courthouse. Call the Court Clerk at (360) 337-7164 or call or email David Lewis at (360) 337-4861 or dlewis@co.kitsap.wa.us. The Court is hearing ex parte and emergency matters from 9am-12pm and from 1:30pm to 4pm.

  • All initial hearings immediately after filing will take place by phone or video conferencing. You must set up phone or video conferencing with the Court by calling the Court or emailing Jennifer Kluver atjkluver@co.kitsap.wa.us.

  • If the Temporary Order is granted, the Court will set the Review Hearing for a future date. Right now, the usual time limits are suspended (paused). If you believe the hearing needs to happen sooner than when it is scheduled, you can submit a declaration stating why an emergency exists and you need a hearing sooner.  

  •  If you get a Temporary Order back, review it closely. Check the Service section to see if a box is marked showing how the Order will be served. The Sheriff's Office is still the main method of service.  Usually the Clerk's Office emails the papers to the Sheriff's Office for service.  

  • Contact the Court scheduler Jennifer Kluver at jkluver@co.kitsap.wa.us, or call the Clerk's Office. A copy of the motion and declaration should be provided to the Superior Court (for a judge or commissioner to review) at superiorcourt@co.kitsap.wa.us.

  • Give the Court scheduler your current contact information for arranging to appear by phone or video conference. The Court scheduler will set a date and time at least three days from the time they receive the motion and declaration.

If you are seeking to Modify (change) or Rescind (cancel) Orders filed after March 25, 2020:

  • We strongly urge you to call the YWCA Alive Program at 360-479-0491.

  • Fill out a motion and declaration seeking to modify or rescind the Order. You can get the forms at www.courts.wa.gov/forms/?fa=forms.static&staticID=14.

  • File the motion and declaration with the Clerk's Office by mail or drop off the papers at the Clerk's Office.

  • The Court will set a date for the hearing. You must arrange with the Court Scheduler, Jennifer Kluver, jkluver@co.kitsap.wa.us, to appear by phone or video. There are no in-person hearings.  

Frequently Asked Questions:

Get answers to these questions by reading these resources:

Last Review and Update: May 13, 2020