Legal services for farmworkers

Authored By: Northwest Justice Project

Short overview of your rights as a farmworker in Washington State. #2906EN

Please Note:

  • Read this only if you live in Washington State.

Your worker rights

In Washington State, you have these rights:

  • To be paid the minimum wage. For most workers ages 16 and over, the minimum wage in 2020 is $14.49 an hour. (In Seattle, it is at least $17.27 an hour. In SeaTac, it is $17.54 an hour.) For most children ages 14 and 15, it is $12.32 an hour. Generally, workers should be paid the minimum wage for piece rate work.
  • To get your wages when due. Generally, employers must pay you at least twice a month. Some only have to pay once a month. If you are not paid when wages are due, you may be able to file a lien against the employer's crop or orchard. This will improve your chances of getting paid. You must file your lien within 40 days from the last day of work or 40 days from the end of the season. If you need to file a lien, contact a lawyer right away. Read Farm Workers: If the employer does not pay you, you may file a lien on the crop or orchard you worked.
  • To receive a paycheck stub that shows your total hours worked, rate of pay, number of piece work units earned, total pay, pay period, and all deductions. The stub must also show the employer's name, address, and phone number.
  • To get in writing specific information about wages and working conditions before starting most farm jobs. If you are not a migrant worker, you must ask for this information to get it.
  • To be covered by unemployment insurance if you have worked 680 hours with legal authorization to work in the United States.
  • To have drinking water, sanitary toilets, and handwashing facilities in the field.
  • To work in an environment free from hazards that can cause grave injuries.
  • To know which pesticides are being used on the job, their hazards, and how to protect yourself.
  • To be covered by industrial insurance if you hurt yourself at work. This insurance pays medical costs and time loss.
  • To get a paid ten-minute rest break for every four hours worked.
  • To get an unpaid 30-minute meal break if you work more than five hours.
  • To join with other workers to improve working conditions and wages without being fired or being discriminated against.
  • To not suffer retaliation or discrimination for exercising these rights.

Legal services

As a farmworker, you have these and other legal rights. Legal Services has offices that can help you.


300 Okanogan Avenue, Suite 3-A

Wenatchee, WA 98801

(509) 664-5101          



311 N. 4th Street, Suite 201

Yakima, WA 98901   

(509) 574-4234 or



1814 Cornwall Avenue

Bellingham, WA98225

(360) 734-8680



1310 N. 5th Avenue, Suite B

Pasco, WA 99301

(509) 547-2760


CLEAR Legal Hotline



300 Okanogan Avenue, Suite 2-A

Wenatchee, WA 98801

(509) 662-9681



600 Larson Bldg. 6 South 2nd Street

Yakima, WA 98901

(509) 575-5593


Tri Cities

418 F North Kellogg St.

Kennewick, WA 99336

(509) 374-9855


For immigration help and enforcement concerns, contact Northwest Immigrant Rights Project:

Seattle Office*


  • Island
  • King
  • San Juan
  • Skagit
  • Snohomish
  • Whatcom counties

(206) 587-4009


* If you live in King County or work or go to school in Seattle, you may be eligible for help through the Legal Defense Hotline. Call (206) 816-3870.

Tacoma & South Unit (TSU)


  • Clallam
  • Clark
  • Cowlitz
  • Grays Harbor
  • Jefferson
  • Kitsap
  • Lewis
  • Mason
  • Pacific
  • Pierce
  • Skagit
  • Skamania
  • Thurston
  • Wahkiakum counties
(206) 816-3893

Granger Office


  • Adams
  • Asotin
  • Benton
  • Columbia
  • Franklin
  • Garfield
  • Kittitas
  • Klickitat
  • Yakima
  • Walla Walla
  • Whitman counties

(509) 854-2100

Wenatchee Office


  • Adams
  • Chelan
  • Douglas
  • Ferry
  • Grant
  • Lincoln
  • Okanogan
  • Pend Oreille
  • Spokane
  • Stevens counties

(509) 570-0054


For wage claims or work injury claims, contact the Department of Labor & Industries:

Department of L & I

7273 Linderson Way SW

Tumwater, WA 98501


Agricultural Worker Information Hotline




1720 Ellis St., #200

Bellingham, WA98225

(360) 647-7300


Moses Lake

3001 W Broadway Ave

Moses Lake, WA 98837

(509) 764-6900

(800) 574-2285
(Eastern WA only)



525 E. College Way, #H

Mt. Vernon, WA98273

(360) 416-3000



500 North Morain St. #1110

Kennewick, WA 99336

(509) 735-0100


Walla Walla

1815 Portland Ave. Suite 2

Walla Walla, WA 99362

(509) 527-4437



519 Grant Road E.

Wenatchee, WA 98802




15 W. Yakima Ave Suite 100

Yakima, WA98902


For help with treatment of pesticide poisoning:

Washington State Poison Control Center

  • 1-800-222-1222
  • 24-hour service with interpreters available.                   

For problems with unemployment insurance claims:   

The Unemployment Law Project

1904 Third Avenue, Suite 604

Seattle, WA 98101

(206) 441-9178 / 1-888-441-9178                   

To apply for food stamps, medical benefits, and financial assistance:

Department of Social & Health Services

  • 1-877 501-2233

For housing problems:

Tenants Union

Hotline: (206) 723-0500

TDD: (206) 723-0523

Northwest Fair Housing Alliance


U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development


For complaints on housing discrimination.

Consumer Protection Complaints & Inquiries

  • 1-800-551-4636

Download | Printer-friendly

Get Legal Help

Visit Northwest Justice Project to find out how to get legal help. 

Last Review and Update: Nov 10, 2022
Was this information helpful?
Back to top