I live in a manufactured/mobile home park. Can the park owner/landlord change the park rules?

Authored By: Northwest Justice Project

If you own your mobile home but rent the space it sits on, learn more about mobile/manufactured home park rules and whether/when/how the landlord can change them. #6514EN

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

*Read this only if you live in the state of Washington.

Yes, you should read this if you own the manufactured or mobile home you live in, but you rent the lot it sits on in a manufactured/mobile home park.

*A manufactured/mobile home park has lots for two or more park models or manufactured/mobile homes. A park model is a recreational vehicle you use as your home. It is permanently attached to the lot. A recreational vehicle is a travel trailer, motor home, truck camper, or camping trailer primarily designed and used to live in temporarily.

When the park owner/landlord can change the rules

  • How much advance notice the landlord must give you that the rules are changing
  • Whether you can get more time to start following the rules
  • When a rule might be unfair and unenforceable

Park rules are part of your written rental agreement as a tenant in a manufactured/mobile home park. RCW 59.20.060. Normally, the park rules renew automatically with your written rental agreement.

If you and the landlord sign a new lease with different terms, the landlord can change the park rules then. 

Also, if your rental agreement says the landlord can change the rules more often than once a year, then they may be able to do so in the middle of a rental term. RCW 59.20.045.

Yes. Generally, the landlord must give you 30 days' written notice before changing a rule. RCW 59.20.045(6).

After the 30 days, you also get a 3-month "grace period" to start following (comply with) the new rule. During the grace period, breaking the new rule can only get you a warning, not a Termination Notice.

Yes. Sometimes the landlord must give you more time to comply. For changes in rules about pets, having children living with tenants, or recreational facilities, the landlord must give you a 6-month period to comply or vacate before giving you a Termination Notice based on the new rule. 

* If you believe any park rules applying to tenants with children discriminates against children, call the Washington State Human Rights Commission – Fair Housing Unit (www.hum.wa.gov/fair-housing,) 1-800-233-3247.

A landlord can enforce a park rule against you only if the rule:

  • Is to promote tenants' health, safety, or well-being, protect the property from harm or damage, or make sure all tenants get to use the services and facilities
  • Is a reasonable way to achieve its purpose
  • Does not let the landlord get around the law or rental agreement
  • Applies fairly to all tenants 
  • Does not discriminate or retaliate (take revenge against) against tenants

Visit Northwest Justice Project to find out how to get legal help. 

Download | Printer-friendly

Last Review and Update: Sep 21, 2021
Was this information helpful?
Back to top