I live in a manufactured/mobile home park. Can the park owner/landlord raise the rent, and by that much?

Read this in: Spanish / Español
Authored By: Northwest Justice Project

If you own your mobile home but rent the space it sits on, state law lets your landlord raise the rent if they give you enough notice about it. Get the details here. #6512EN

Please Note:

If your landlord is threatening to evict you, you can apply for help online, or by calling the Eviction Defense line at 1-855-657-8387. Interpreters available in all languages.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Yes, if you own your manufactured/mobile home and rent a space in Washington State where 2 or more manufactured/mobile homes and/or permanently installed RVs or trailers are renting spaces.

  • A "permanently installed RV or trailer" might include additions like built on porches, trailer skirting, and other fixtures that show long-term permanence.

If you are renting the place where you live and you do not live in a mobile home park, this fact sheet does not apply to you. You should read Can my landlord raise my rent? And by how much? instead.

  • A manufactured/mobile home park is any land rented out for 2 or more manufactured/mobile homes and/or permanently installed RVs or trailers.
  • Whether and when the landlord can raise the rent

  • What options you might have, and where to get legal help

Yes, but the landlord must give you at least 3 months' (90 days') notice before raising the rent.

  • If the rental term is one year, the landlord can only raise the rent at the end of the term. You can read the law about this at RCW 59.20.090(2). Example: Your lease is up on January 1. Your landlord wants to raise the rent starting then.  The landlord must have given you the notice by October 1.

  • If the rental term is month-to-month, the landlord can raise the rent at the end of any month, after giving 3 months' written notice. Example: Your landlord wants to raise the rent starting October 1. The landlord must have sent you the notice by July 1.

No. The notice must be written on paper. Your landlord cannot simply text or email you 90 days before they raise your rent and demand that you pay a new amount.

The rent increase notice I got gave me only 30 days advance written notice. Do I still have to pay the new amount?

State law at RCW 59.20.090(2) clearly states that the landlord must give you 3 months' notice. If you get a rent increase notice that gives you less time, talk to a lawyer right away. See contact info below.

No. If your contract or written lease was for a certain amount of rent per month, your landlord cannot try to raise your rent during the middle of the contract. Your landlord must wait until 3 months from the end of your lease.

Example: Your contract ends on December 31. Your landlord needs to have notified you by October 1.

Unfortunately, yes. There is no rent control in Washington state.

You can try to negotiate with the landlord not to raise the rent for a certain period. If you and the landlord do agree to this, try to get it in writing.  

If it would help, you can try asking the landlord to change the date your rent is due. Read Can I change the date my rent is due to learn more.

You might also have other options. Ask a lawyer if the Washington Law against Discrimination (RCW 49.60) or the Fair Housing Act (starting at 42 U.S.C. 3601) can help you at all. See contact info below.

Maybe. If your landlord raised the rent within 120 days of legal action you took against the landlord, and did not give you good reason for the rent increase, it may count as retaliation and be illegal. Talk to a lawyer right away.

Download | Printer-friendly

Last Review and Update: Mar 29, 2023
Was this information helpful?
Back to top