My landlord threatened to evict me from my manufactured/mobile home park

Read this in: Spanish / Español
Authored By: Northwest Justice Project

If you live in a manufactured/mobile home park and your landlord just threatened to evict you, learn about what is required to actually start an eviction process. #6500EN

Please Note:

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Yes, if you just got a written eviction notice, verbal threat, or text message from your landlord and you live in a mobile home, manufactured home, or another type of permanent home that you own in a manufactured or mobile home park where you rent a space. 

If you are renting both the home and the space, stop. This does not apply to you. Read Eviction and Your Defense instead.

* A manufactured/mobile home park is any land rented out for two or more manufactured/mobile homes and/or permanently installed RVs or trailers.

No. Washington State does not let landlords evict tenants without following the proper court eviction process. The landlord must win an eviction lawsuit against you and get a judge to sign an order directing the sheriff to evict you. Read Can the Landlord Do That?

The landlord must give you a proper "termination notice" before starting an eviction lawsuit. Verbal threats, phone calls, emails or text messages are not proper termination notices and do not start the legal eviction process.

* The word "notice" can be confusing because it means two different things. It is a piece of paper that tells you why the landlord will try to evict you. It is also the amount of time the landlord must wait before they file a court case.

You can try to resolve the problem directly with your landlord. You may want to write the landlord a letter with a detailed explanation, if you think your landlord has misunderstood the situation. Keep a copy of your letter.

You can also file a complaint with the Manufactured Housing Dispute Resolution Program. This program may help you resolve a disagreement you have with your landlord. 

A proper termination notice must:

  • Be written.
  • Include a valid reason why the lease is being ended.
  • Be given to you with the right amount of time before the lease will actually be ended. The amount of time depends on the reason for the termination.

These are the most common examples, but you can find all of the reasons why your lease could be ended in the Revised Code of Washington.

  • Failure to Pay: If you are behind in rent, the landlord can give you a 14-Day Notice to Pay or Vacate. Read My Manufactured/Mobile Home Park Landlord Just Gave Me a 14-Day Notice to Pay or Vacate
  • Failure to Comply with Lease or Rules: If the landlord believes you are breaking your lease or the park rules, the landlord can give you a 20-Day Notice to Comply or Vacate. Read My Manufactured/Mobile Home Park Landlord just Gave Me a 20-Day Notice to Comply or Vacate
  • Nuisance: If the landlord believes you are creating a nuisance that affects the health, safety, and welfare of other people living in the park, the landlord can give you a 5-day Notice to Cease (stop) a Nuisance or Vacate. The notice must describe the nuisance and say what you must to stop the nuisance. If you got this, stop the nuisance immediately, and try to get legal help right away.   
  • Violation of Certain Mobile Home Laws: If the landlord believes you are violating certain mobile home laws, the landlord can give you a 15-day Notice to Comply or Vacate.
  • "Disorderly or Substantially Annoying" Conduct: If the landlord believes you are engaging in "disorderly or substantially annoying" conduct on park premises, in a way that destroys other tenants' rights to enjoy and use the premises, the landlord can give you a 15-day Notice to Comply or Vacate.
  • Closure or Change of Use: A landlord who plans to close the mobile home park and change the land use can end all park tenancies with a 12-month notice. If you get a notice from the park owner saying the park is closing, try to get legal help right away. You may be able to get money to help with moving your mobile home from the Manufactured/Mobile Home Relocation Assistance Program. Read Tenant Rights under the Manufactured/Mobile Home Landlord Tenant Act to learn more.
  • Multiple Notices: If you get three 14 Day Notices to Pay or Vacate or if you get three 20 Day Notices to Comply or Vacate within 1 year, a park owner can try to use those 3 notices as the reason to file an eviction lawsuit. If you've received more than one 14 Day or 20 Notices, try to get legal help right away.

These "termination notices" are warnings from the landlord. If you ignore them, the landlord may file an eviction lawsuit against you and it can go on your record.

In all these cases, you should try to get legal help right away. See the Get Legal Help section at the end of this document for more information.

Yes. The landlord (or their employee or another adult) can "personally serve" you at home by handing the notice to you. The landlord cannot give someone else in your mobile home a copy of the notice. If you are not home, the landlord can tape it on your door, but then they must also mail a copy. The termination notice does not have to be notarized.

Yes, unless the landlord believes you have engaged in "criminal activity" that threatens other tenants' health, safety, and welfare. Then the landlord may file a court case to evict you immediately. They don't have to give you notice. You will get a "summons" (a paper that says a court case has been started against you) that will tell you to come to court on a certain date at a certain time.

* The landlord cannot make you leave until a court orders that you leave. If this happens, try to get legal help right away.

Download | Printer-friendly

Last Review and Update: Apr 15, 2022
Was this information helpful?
Back to top