powered by probono.net

To leave this site now, use the X button.
If you are in danger, please use a safer computer.
In an emergency, call 911 or the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 (TTY 1-800-787-3224). Computer use can be monitored and is impossible to completely clear.

Text size: A A A

WashingtonLawHelp.orgWashington LawHelp

My Manufactured/Mobile Home Park Landlord Just Gave Me a 14-Day Notice to Pay or Vacate

Authored By: Northwest Justice Project

If you live in a manufactured/mobile home park and your landlord gave you a 14-Day Notice to Pay or Vacate, learn what this notice is and how to respond and get legal and financial help. #6502EN


Read Online


*Read this only if you live in the state of Washington.

*COVID-19 Update!  Eviction law is changing quickly. There are temporary bans and changes to how courts handle evictions. Things may be different depending on where you live. Get the latest information and learn about help for evictions in your area at WashingtonLawHelp.org:  Coronavirus (COVID-19): There are only a few reasons your landlord can evict you right now


I live in Washington, should I read this?

Yes, if you live in a manufactured/mobile home park and just got a notice from your landlord saying you owe rent, and must pay the amount owed within 14 days or move out.

No, if do not own the mobile home you live in, and rent both the home and lot. Instead, read My Landlord Just Gave Me a 14-Day Notice to Pay Rent or Vacate and talk to a lawyer right away. Contact information is below.

*A manufactured/mobile home park is any land rented out for two or more manufactured/mobile homes and/or permanently installed RVs or trailers.


What will you learn by reading this?

  • What this notice is

  • What to do if you get this notice from your landlord

  • Where to get legal help


What is a 14-day Notice to Pay Rent or Vacate?


A 14-Day Notice to Pay Rent or Vacate is a warning from your landlord that you have fallen behind in rent and/or on your deposit installment plan. If your landlord wants to evict you for not paying rent or your deposit installment, your landlord must give you a 14-Day Notice to Pay Rent or Vacate.

This notice has to tell you exactly how much you owe. You must then pay what you owe by the end of the 14 days. If you do not, the landlord may start an eviction lawsuit against you. You can also read Coronavirus (COVID-19):  Should I enter into a rent repayment plan with my landlord?


Does my landlord have to deliver the notice to me in a certain way?

Yes. Your landlord (or their employee or another adult) can "personally serve" you at home by handing the notice to you. The landlord cannot give someone else in your mobile home a copy of the notice. If you are not home, the landlord can tape it on your door, but then they must also mail a copy.

*The notice does not have to be notarized.


Can the landlord evict me just by giving me this notice?

No. Washington state does not let landlords evict tenants without following the proper court eviction process. The landlord must give you a proper written "termination" notice before starting an eviction lawsuit. The 14-day Notice to Pay Rent or Vacate is one type of termination notice.

If you are still living in the place after 14 days, and you still owe rent, the landlord may then start an eviction lawsuit.

The landlord must win an eviction lawsuit and get a judge to sign an order directing the sheriff to evict you.

The one exception is if you receive three or more 14-Day Notices in a twelve-month period, your landlord can evict you even if you paid all your rent.


I don't think I owe that rent, can I fight the eviction in court?

Yes. If you want to fight the eviction lawsuit, talk to a lawyer right away. You will need to be able to prove your case in court. This means giving evidence proving you do not owe the rent. It can also mean having witnesses with personal knowledge about the facts testify. A lawyer can help you with these things. See contact information below.

*Read Getting Ready for a Court Hearing or Trial to get an idea of what you will need to do to fight the eviction in court. Eviction and Your Defense might also help.


Even if I owe the rent, can I go to court to ask the judge for a payment plan?

Yes. You can ask the judge for a payment plan to get more time to pay. Be ready to explain to the judge why you fell behind in rent or payments on your deposit installment plan, how soon you could pay what you owe, if you have fallen behind before, and how much hardship you will suffer if you are evicted. Talk to a lawyer right away for help getting ready to go to court.

*If family or friends can help you, take the help.  Being able to pay the rent might stop the eviction.


You might be able to get other help paying the rent or the payment plan.

  • Try calling 2-1-1 or visit online.

  • Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) has programs you might be eligible for. Apply online, or call the DSHS customer service contact center at 877-501-2233.

  • Check online for a community action agency near you.

  • Check online for an Associate Economic Development Organization (ADO) near you.


Get Legal Help

Eviction laws and the ways courts are handling the COVID-19 crisis may change quickly and be different depending on where you live. Get the latest information and learn about help for evictions in your area on www.WashingtonLawHelp.org.

Visit Northwest Justice Project to find out how to get legal help. 

Download | Printer-friendly

Last Review and Update: Dec 14, 2020