WashingtonLawHelp.orgWashington LawHelp

Personal Property Losses

Authored By: IRS

Generally, you may deduct losses to your home, household goods, and motor vehicles on your federal income tax return. However, you may not deduct a casualty or theft loss that is covered by insurance unless you filed a timely insurance claim for reimbursement. Any reimbursement you receive will reduce the loss. If you did not file an insurance claim, you may deduct only the part of the loss that was not covered by insurance.

Last Review and Update: Feb 05, 2020