powered by probono.net

To leave this site now, use the X button.
If you are in danger, please use a safer computer.
In an emergency, call 911 or the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 (TTY 1-800-787-3224). Computer use can be monitored and is impossible to completely clear.

Text size: A A A

WashingtonLawHelp.orgWashington LawHelp

Pierce County Superior Court: Your Domestic Violence Protection Order Case during COVID-19

Authored By: Northwest Justice Project

Read how Pierce County Superior Court has temporarily changed its procedures for getting or renewing Domestic Violence Protection Orders. #3972EN


Download | Printer-friendly

Read Online

Pierce County Superior Court is still accepting requests for Domestic Violence Protection Orders. However, the process has temporarily changed. For up-to-date information, go to www.co.pierce.wa.us/122/Superior-Court.

If you filed a Petition before March 24, 2020:

  • All court hearings will be delayed 24 days, if you filed against an intimate partner, or 42 days, if you filed against a non-intimate partner, from the original hearing date, unless you and the respondent arrange ahead of time to appear at the hearing by phone or videoconference.

  • If you already have a Temporary Domestic Violence Protection Order and you do not appear at the originally scheduled hearing, the Court will reissue the Order and schedule a new hearing date. The new date will be 24 or 42 days from the date of the original hearing for the final order.  The Temporary Order will stay in effect until the new court date.

    • You should get the new Order and Notice of Hearing by email, mail, text, or fax. The other side should get it too. If you do not get your order, or want to make sure the other side has been served, visit LINX (https://linxonline.co.pierce.wa.us/) or call the Court clerk at 253-789-8827.  

  • If you filed a Petition to Renew an Order for Protection, the Court set (scheduled) a new hearing date 24 or 42 days later, depending if you filed against an intimate partner. You can tell the Court extended your Order if the date of the hearing comes after your Order expires (ends). If your Order was not extended up to the hearing deadline, call the Court Clerk at 253-798-8827.  The Clerk cannot give legal advice.  If you do not know your new court date, or to make sure your Order was extended, check LINX or call the Court clerk.

    • The other party should have been served with the new Order Setting Hearing and Extending Order by the Court. Visit LINX or call the Court clerk to be sure.

  • If you filed a Petition to Modify (change) or Terminate (end) an Order, the hearing will be delayed 24 days, if the order is between intimate partners, or 42 days, if not, from the original hearing date, unless both parties arrange ahead of time to attend the hearing by phone or videoconference.  The Court will send you the new Notice of Hearing by email, mail, text, or fax.

You can attend your hearing by phone, using CourtCall. To set this up, call the Clerk at 253-789-8827, or call CourtCall at 1-888-882-6878, at least 24 hours before the hearing. At this time, CourtCall is not charging fees if you are representing yourself.

To file a Petition after March 24, 2020:

  • Do not go to the courthouse!  You can fill out and submit your Petition and supporting papers at any open kiosk or by calling the Clerk at 253-789-8827. Someone in the Clerk's Office will answer your questions without giving legal advice. They will also ask you for information needed to finish your paperwork.   

  • You must submit all papers you want the Court to review, or finish the interview with the Clerk's Office, by 4:00 p.m. If you do not, the Court may not look at your Petition until the next day.

  • A commissioner will speak with you by phone or video conferencing the day you file or the next court day.  The commissioner will swear you in. You will have a chance to give extra information.  The commissioner may ask you some questions.

  • If the commissioner grants the Temporary Order, the Court will set the Review Hearing for 24 days later if you are filing against an intimate partner, 42 days later if not. Either you or the other side can ask the Court to shift the hearing date earlier or later if you have a good reason.

  • The Clerk will send you copies of your Petition, Temporary Order for Protection and Notice of Hearing, by e-mail, fax, or text if you have a printer. If you do not, the Clerk will mail you copies. You must have one copy of each paper served on the other party, unless the Clerk's office tells you otherwise.

Serving the orders:

Read Coronavirus (COVID-19): Washington Governor has changed how you get a Protection Order during the Pandemic.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Get answers to these questions by reading the following resources

More Help:

  • Call the YWCA of Pierce County (253-272-4181) or the Crystal Judson Family Justice Center (253-798-4166). Someone at either organization can tell you how best to protect yourself, get resources, and how the court process will go. You will be able to communicate with an advocate by phone or e-mail.

  • For legal help, call Northwest Justice Project's CLEAR Hotline at
    1-888-201-1014 or go to Tacomaprobono's website

Last Review and Update: May 13, 2020