powered by probono.net

To leave this site now, use the X button.
If you are in danger, please use a safer computer.
In an emergency, call 911 or the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 (TTY 1-800-787-3224). Computer use can be monitored and is impossible to completely clear.

Text size: A A A

WashingtonLawHelp.orgWashington LawHelp

Yakima County Superior Court: Seeking a Court Order in your Family Law case during COVID-19

Authored By: Northwest Justice Project LSC Funded

Read how Yakima County Superior Court has temporarily changed its procedures for getting emergency orders in family law cases. #3973EN


Download | Printer-friendly

Read Online

Yakima County Superior Court has temporarily changed how you can present your family law case to the court.  We expect still more changes to come. 

Currently, the court only allows consideration of family law (divorce, parenting plan, parentage, and non-parent custody) requests in limited situations.

  • The court will hold by phone all emergency hearings currently scheduled for hearing, or all emergency matters that arise before April 24, 2020.  See Exemplar 2 attached.  The court defines an emergency as a situation that clearly appears from your affidavit or verified complaint will cause immediate and irreparable injury, loss, or damage. 

  • If you believe your motion is an emergency, you must get a court order to schedule the hearing by submitting a motion and declaration though the ex-parte process.  Contact the clerk to ask how to do this.

  • If the court approves the request, you must confirm your hearing: call or email the Clerk's office by 10:00 AM two court days before the scheduled hearing date to tell them that the hearing is still happening. You can call the clerk at (509) 574-2959 or email them at domestic.motion@co.yakima.wa.us.   

  • Family law ex-parte matters will be handled in chambers (the judge's offices).  You can submit proposed orders to the Clerk's office.  You should attach a cover sheet to each order.  See Ex-Parte Cover Sheet: Exemplar 1 attached.   

  • If you have an open case (have already filed a summons and petition), follow these instructions: 

  • Fill out your emergency motion (forms and instructions below): 

Last Review and Update: May 06, 2020