Washington LawHelpWashington LawHelp

Filter By:


General Info (9)+

  • Beyond the Conviction

    This publication is intended as a starting point for defenders to understand the hidden penalties clients may face after conviction. It addresses the potential civil and other consequences that a person should understand before they plea guilty. Read More

    Washington Defender Association
  • Crime Victims Advocacy Network

    We are a network of advocates working with those hurt or harmed by crime in Mason, Thurston, Lewis, Grays Harbor and Pacific Counties. We work to protect the rights and dignity of crime victims by providing them with support, referrals and advocacy in a compassionate, proactive and empowering manner. Read More

    Crime Victims Advocacy Network
  • Depositions in Criminal Cases: Tips for Victims and Witnesses

    If you are a witness or victim in a criminal case, and you will not be testifying at the trial or you refuse to discuss the case with the prosecuting attorney or the defense attorney, that attorney can ask the court to order you to sit for a deposition, and to bring specific books/papers/objects to the deposition. Read More

    Northwest Justice Project
  • Help for Crime Victims

    Information on the Crime Victims Compensation Program, resources and forms. Content Detail

    Department L & I
  • Little Children, Big Challenges: Incarceration

    The incarceration of a loved one can be very overwhelming for both children and caregivers. It can bring about big changes and transitions. In simple everyday ways, you can comfort your child and guide her through these tough moments. With your love and support she can get through anything that comes her way. Here are some tools to help you with the changes your child is going through. Content Detail

  • Public Defender Offices in Washington

    Link to a listing of Public Defender Offices around the state. Read More

    Washington Defender Association
  • Responding to Family Law Actions while Incarcerated

    Are you in jail or prison? Have you been served with legal papers about your family? This memo provides general information about how to respond to family law actions such as petitions related to divorce, child support, and custody issues. This memo is not intended as a substitute for legal advice. You may be able to get legal advice about your specific needs from a contract attorney or public defender. Read More

  • Social Security and Health Care Benefits for the Incarcerated

    This fact sheet describes (i) income support through the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) programs, and (ii) health coverage under Medicaid and Medicare, which together can enable someone with mental illness to transition successfully from jail or prison to community life. Read More

    Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law
  • Visiting Incarcerated Parents in Washington Prisons: A Guide for Judicial Officers

    A Summary of Statewide Washington Department of Corrections Guidelines and Facility-Specific Information. Content Detail

    Northwest Justice Project