File for Divorce

A Washington Forms Online interview. Self-help court forms and instructions on LawHelp Interactive.

Fill out online

Launch Interview 
 Fill out forms to File for Divorce
Washington Forms Online

It’s simple: we ask you questions and use your answers to complete your forms. Link takes you to Law Help Interactive (LHI).


This free program will help you fill out court forms to file for divorce. 

The interview asks questions and uses your answers to complete your forms. When you finish the interview, you can save, edit, email, download or print your completed forms. You will also get instructions to help with your next steps.

Watch our How-To Video to see how it works.

  1. Instructions
  2. Cover Sheet
  3. Summons: Notice about a Marriage (FL Divorce 200)
  4. Petition for Divorce (FL Divorce 201)
  5. Certificate of Dissolution (DOH 422-027)
  6. Confidential Information (FL All Family 001)
  7. Proof of Personal Service (FL All Family 101)

And other forms if needed, based on your answers.

Learn more

The costs involved in a divorce include a filing fee of $250 - $320, photocopying fees, and possibly fees for service (delivering the papers to your spouse). If you cannot afford the filing fee, you may be able to file without paying it. To fill out the forms you need, complete the interview, Ask the Court to Waive Your Filing Fee.

You can file a divorce petition in the county where you live, or the county where your spouse lives. If you have questions about whether to file in Washington, talk with a lawyer, or read our publications about Washington divorce law (links below). 

If you have children with your spouse who are under age 18, the court will order a parenting plan and child support as part of your divorce. 

If the children have not always lived in Washington, the court may not have authority (jurisdiction) over the children. If not, you cannot get a parenting plan here. You may need to file in another state. 

Read Divorce and Other Options for Ending Your Marriage in Washington State

Divorce law is the same all over the state. But local court requirements will affect how you handle your case. Many counties have special forms, or have other local rules you must follow. Many counties require case schedules, classes, or settlement conferences. You must learn and follow local court requirements.

Call the court clerk’s office or family law facilitator for the court where you will file your case to find out about their local requirements. Tell them you are filing for divorce. Requirements may differ, depending on the type or stage of your case.

Read your local court rules. They are available at your county’s law library and often online at

Before you start

We strongly recommend that you talk with a lawyer before filing for divorce. Even if you cannot afford to pay one to handle your divorce for you, a lawyer may advise you about important legal rights your divorce may affect. Example: You may have financial rights, such as a share of your spouse’s pension or other property, that you could lose if you do not protect those rights in the divorce.

If you have children, a lawyer can help you with a parenting plan and child support.

  • Your and your spouse's full legal names

  • Date, city, state (or country) of your marriage

  • Your mailing address

It is helpful but not necessary to have:

  • Your spouse's mailing address

  • Your and your spouse's drivers license and social security number

  • List of personal property and real estate (real property) that you want the judge to award you or your spouse

  • List of outstanding community and separate debts

It could take up to an hour to finish. If you don't have enough time, save your answers by creating a free account with LawHelp Interactive. You can create an account before you start or after you finish the interview.

This interview works best on a desktop computer, laptop, or large tablet. If you only have a mobile device, go to a library or other location with a desktop computer and printer. You must print your forms to file them in court.   

Your documents will download as PDF files. You can open them in Adobe or any other PDF viewer. You can email your forms directly from LawHelp Interactive to yourself or someone else who can print them for you.

Ready to start?

Launch Interview 
 Fill out forms to File for Divorce
Washington Forms Online

It’s simple: we ask you questions and use your answers to complete your forms. Link takes you to a Law Help Interactive.


If you do not want to fill these out online, download our printable packet.

Disclaimer:  This program is designed to follow current law. It does not apply legal principles and judgment to anyone's specific circumstances.

Last Review and Update: Jul 09, 2023
Back to top