Applying for a Driver’s License with no Social Security Number

Read this in: Spanish / Español

Washington State Department of Licensing (DOL) has a policy about residency documents that you will need to show if you are applying for a driver's license or ID card. This publication tells you what documents you need. #9349EN

Read Online


Should I read this?

Yes, to find out what proof you must show the Washington State Department of Licensing (DOL) if you are applying for a driver’s license or ID card and you do not have a Social Security number.  

*If you do give a Social Security number, the DOL double-checks it with the Social Security Administration.


What proof do I need?

*The DOL will double-check your proof.

*Your proof must include your name and current Washington home address.

 Bring one of these: 

  • Utility bill (gas, electric, water, garbage, landline phone, or ISTA). Do not bring cable, internet or satellite TV bills.

  • A college or university document that has your current home address on file.

  • Off-campus students: Bring the printout from the SEVIS database that has all of these:

    • Your address.

    • In a sealed envelope with the college’s return address.

    • Proof it came from the “Designated School Official” or “Responsible Officer.”

  • A WA Department of Corrections (DOC) electronic ID Letter with your current home address.

  • Your Washington vehicle registration and one of these: your

    • Auto insurance policy or

    • Vehicle insurance card.

  • Selective Service card with your current home address.

  • Vehicle title (not a super service title with a tamper-proof tape over the VIN and Title number).

  • Bank-issued documents for the last 30 days that have your current home address, such as:

    • Account statement.

    • Credit card statement.

    • Mortgage statement.

*DOL also asks you to prove your identity when you apply for a license. Read Identity Documents for Washington Drivers’ Licenses to learn more.

*If you cannot prove your identity but can prove where you live, you may get a license marked “not valid for identification.”


I get public assistance. I cannot afford a driver’s license. What can I do?

Ask your DSHS caseworker to fill out the form 16-029 “Request for Identicard” here or ask your caseworker for the form. After you have filled out the form, bring it to DOL to get a Washington State ID card. It will cost you five dollars.


I still have questions.

Call CLEAR at 1-888-201-1014 between 9:15 a.m. and 12:15 p.m., weekdays, to speak with a lawyer and get advice and/or referral for more help OR call one of our local offices:

Wenatchee: 1-888-201-1021
Yakima:     1-888-201-1018

Wenatchee:  1-800-572-9615
Yakima:     1-800-631-1323
Kennewick: 1-888-201-9735

Download | Printer-friendly

Last Review and Update: Nov 24, 2020
Was this information helpful?
Back to top