My driver’s license might be suspended. What do I do?

If you think your driver's license might be suspended, learn how to find that out and also how to reinstate a suspended license. #9353EN

Please Note:

  • Read this only if your driver's license was issued by Washington State.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Before driving, check the status of your license.

If you are not sure about the status of your license, do not drive. Check the status of your license online by running a search at the Department of Licensing (DOL) or call 360-902-3900.

If you call, be patient. Listen to the pre-recorded message in its entirety and follow instructions. You will get through to a person eventually. For either option, you will need your Washington driver’s license number and your date of birth.

This information is free to access, and no account or login information is needed.

  • Update your address with DOL to make sure DOL always has the address where you get your mail. You don’t want to miss important information about the status of your license.

Register for a free and secure account with the DOL License eXpress. You will need an email address to activate your account.

Don’t have an email address? Call DOL’s automated phone line at 360-902-3900.

The state suspends a license for a variety of reasons. Each reason has different steps to reinstatement. provides free publications and self-help materials about some common reasons a driver’s license may be suspended or revoked.

Some common suspension reasons include:

* Out of state suspension: If your driver’s license from another state is suspended, Washington also suspends your license. This is true even if Washington DOL has issued you a license that looks valid. You must contact that state’s driver license agency to find out how to fix your suspension.

You can apply to DOL for an Occupational/Restricted License or an Interlock Driver License, depending on the reason for your license suspension. There are eligibility requirements. Financial support is available for low-income individuals.

Financial resources may be available through community programs such as:

  • Department of Social and Health Services TANF/BFT programs
  • Your local social service agency
  • Supportive services programs available through Wellness Clinics
  • Vocational rehabilitation programs for people living with disabilities
  • Tribal Employment Rights Offices (TERO) or Tribal Social Service Programs
  • Veterans’ programs
  • Treehouse for youth in foster care

Download | Printer-friendly

Get Legal Help

Visit Northwest Justice Project to find out how to get legal help. 

Last Review and Update: Jun 07, 2022
Was this information helpful?
Back to top